Screening guide and resources
Guides for screening hosts and facilitators
Forged from Fire Screening Guide
About this guide
The Black Saturday fires were the worst in Australia’s recorded history and profoundly affected the people of Victoria, especially those people living in small, rural communities northeast of Melbourne. Although Forged from Fire is a story of hope and renewal, it is underpinned by an event that caused immeasurable harm, loss and trauma for many affected by the fires. The Screening Guides are designed to provide a resource that supports the sensitive screening of Forged from Fire and facilitates conversations and connections between viewers. Whether you are a school, university, community group, or other organisation, this guide will assist you in planning your event to ensure you provide a safe space for people to view the film, share their stories, connect with others, and find support.
In these guides, you will find:
- Things to consider when planning your event/screening;
- Mental Health First Aid tips for responding to someone in distress;
- Resources, including support contacts and information about how this guide was made.
Download these resources
- Introductory Screening Guide [PDF – 1.56 MB]
- Comprehensive Screening Guide – the full, comprehensive guidebook [PDF 1.04 MB]
- Example Activities – suggestions for how you may run your screening event [PDF 50 KB]
- The Framework – principles of safety, calming, self and collective efficacy, connectedness, and hope [PDF 48 KB]
- Simple Grounding Interventions – When people are distressed, engaging in activities that soothe, bring body awareness,
and/or focus the mind on the present moment can be helpful [PDF 46 KB]
- Identifying Post-Traumatic Stress – Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is a set of reactions that people can develop
following a traumatic event in which their safety or life, or that of those around them,
was threatened [PDF 45 KB]
- Tips, Considerations and Information [PDF 51 KB]
- Viewers Resource – version 1 – double sided postcard for viewers [PDF 276 KB]
- Viewers Resource – version 2 – double sided postcard for viewers [PDF 1.25 MB]
This screening guide was developed by Lilith Korndorffer, Dr Danielle Williamson, Dr Jessica Mackelprang and Dr Carolynne White from the School of Health Sciences at Swinburne University of Technology, in collaboration with Andrew Garton (Writer, Director and Producer) and Jenni Aldred (Associate Producer).